A while ago, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) wrote a tongue-in-cheek zombie apocalypse plan. Partly as a PR stunt and partly because if you’re ready for a walking dead epidemic, then you’re just about ready for anything. Since then, it has taken off as a very successful awareness campaign. Cities across the nation are participating in zombie preparedness drills in order to train responders and zombie apocalypse kits are ready to buy (although you might as well use this free list and just make your own. It’s cheaper.) Emergency Managers all over the nation are thrilled. It’s hard to get people interested in preparedness; FEMA estimates that 1/3 of the population don’t even have preparedness “on their radar”. But lately, zombies have captured America’s imagination (Thank you, “Walking Dead“) And getting prepared for a zombie apocalypse usually gets you prepared for the next earthquake, hurricane, or tornado.
This Emergency Manager is all about zombies this Halloween.
Basic Minimum Requirements to Survive Zombies:
Straight from the good folks at the CDC…
- Water (1 gallon per person per day)
- Food (stock up on non-perishable items that you eat regularly)
- Medications (this includes prescription and non-prescription meds)
- Tools and Supplies (utility knife, duct tape, battery powered radio, etc.)
- Sanitation and Hygiene (household bleach, soap, towels, etc.)
- Clothing and Bedding (a change of clothes for each family member and blankets)
- Important documents (copies of your driver’s license, passport, and birth certificate to name a few)
- First Aid supplies (although you’re a goner if a zombie bites you, you can use these supplies to treat basic cuts and lacerations that you might get during a tornado orhurricane)
- And More…
Want to know more?
* Here’s a Forbes article with a report from USC Anneberg School of Communication and Journalism
* Here’s a CNN article with lots of quotes from happy people
* the CDC speaks for itself: tons of helpful tips in here. Read this if nothing else.
* Solve the Outbreak for Ipad
* 5 Apps for the Zombie Apocalypse –including maps, flashlights, guidebooks…
* Apocalypse Survival Guide— because there’s more than one way the world can go up in flames.
What about you, Reader? Are you prepared? Tell us how below.